My Chinese Mother

A place to record the wonderfully funny things my Chinese Mother says and does, so I will always remember them...

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

You Got A WHAT?!

Last summer, my mom spent a lot of time in SanFrancisco with my Aunt Esther.  Aunt Esther doesn't wash her own hair, she "gets it done" at a salon.  She has had many different incarnations and colors of hair.  Sometimes she has highlights.  When her oldest granddaughter was about 6 years old, she told my Aunt, "Your hair looks RIDICULOUS!"  That kind of sums up the things my Aunt Esther has done to her hair....if her 6 year old granddaughter thought it looked ridiculous.  MY 6 year old daughter wants to wear a bright orange, waist long, tangled Halloween wig of hair and thinks it's the most beautiful thing she's ever seen...but that's a different story and a different blog.

It would be safe to say that my Aunt Esther might not be the person you want to take hair advice from.


When my mom came back from SanFrancisco and brought Aunt Esther with her (my Uncle had recently died, so my mom has been spending a lot of time with her sisters since they are all widows now) they decided to come visit me!  


Aunt Esther had convinced my mom (unbeknownst to me) to get a PERM. 


A PERM.   In Chinatown.   In SanFrancisco.    For $25. 


I didn't even know you could still get a perm! Very, very short, coarse, constantly colored for the past 20 years Asian hair does NOT perm well...




After posting this to my Facebook wall, my favorite comment was...  "well, on the bright side, now she can be Wayne Newton for Halloween."

2 comments: