My Chinese Mother

A place to record the wonderfully funny things my Chinese Mother says and does, so I will always remember them...

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cardboard Tunnel

My 6 year old daughter can sing some really difficult songs, even in other languages, because she repeats the sounds she hears...not the words...so sometimes she doesn't always get it right.  You know, like when you've been singing the wrong lyrics to a song for the past 20 years (ABBA "Dancing Queen" - "...see that girl, watch her scream, kickin' the dancing queen...").

My mother does the same thing, only with talking instead of singing.

Like cardboard tunnel.

My mom asked me what it was.  Actually, what she specifically asked was, "What is cardboard tunnel?"

I had no idea.  I asked her to tell me more about what SHE thought it was and how she heard about it.

She told me that lots of people are getting one and sometimes they have to wear special bracelets.

Um....okay.

She said that people that work in the grocery store and at the post office and that do a lot of computer work have a cardboard tunnel and that it is very painful so they sometimes have to have surgery.  She actually DID say these things, only it took about 45 minutes and a epic Chinese version of "Kabuki Theater", only with less makeup.

I asked her more about the "special bracelets" and she told me, "you know, those things like a wrap around your arms or legs if it's hurting."

Ah...a BRACE!

Cardboard tunnel = CARPAL TUNNEL!!


No comments:

Post a Comment